Ok, so I’ve been MIA. How do you guys stay motivated to keep posting? Any suggestions? One of the reasons I haven’t posted as often is at my work we are now using WordPress to gather data, and it’s too much of a hassle to log out of my own account, and log in to the work account on WordPress, and log back out, etc. (Yes, I blog at work…. on my break, of course).
Anyhoo, I tried this spaghetti bolognese recipe a week ago (inspired by the one here) and used it with spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is one of those new fancy fashion foods – like quinoa, or chia seeds. People are now discovering that you can be on a low-carb diet and still eat noodles, by substituting spaghetti squash for noodles.
Yes, it is actually called “spaghetti squash”, and this is what it looks like:
You’ll want to start making the bolognese first because it takes about 1.5 hours to finish cooking, while the spaghetti squash only takes 50 minutes.
What you’ll need (~This serves 4 people~):
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- ~15 oz. tomato paste
- 1 can (7 oz) sliced mushrooms
How to make the bolognese:
- Brown beef over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Combine everything (except the squash) into a large pot. Simmer at a low heat setting for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
How to cook the spaghetti squash:
- Cut each spaghetti squash into halves, the long way.
- Dig out all the loose stuff in the middle and throw it away.
- Place the halves face down on a baking sheet and bake at 375 deg. for 50 minutes.
- When they come out of the oven, you can just use a fork to scrape the squash, and it will have the same texture as spaghetti noodles!
This takes awhile to cook, but you are really doing all the work at the beginning then letting everything cook/bake, so it’s not too bad. As for the taste, spaghetti squash doesn’t have much taste to it, so I personally think it’s a fantastic substitute for noodles!
Let me know if you guys decide to try this! 🙂 Happy Monday!!!!